Faculty positions at Institut franco-chinois de l’énergie nucléaire
Faculty positions at Institut franco-chinois de l’énergie nucléaire
Sun Yat-sen University, Zhuhai, China
To meet the increasing demand in high-level engineers and advanced nuclear technologies for the nuclear energy industry, the Institut franco-chinois de l’énergie nucléaire (IFCEN) was established in 2010 under a collaboration education framework between Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) and the French Consortium in Civilian Nuclear Engineering Training (FINUCI). FINUCI is primarily led by the Grenoble Institute of Technology (Grenoble INP) and the French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA).
IFCEN is fully part of Sun Yat-sen University, which has developed into a modern comprehensive university with five campuses in the three cities of Guangzhou, Zhuhai and Shenzhen, and ten affiliated hospitals. SYSU is increasingly expanding its impact and reputation as a top-tier university in China, as well as a renowned university with international fame.
IFCEN aims at: (1) promoting academic research and technological innovation in the key areas of nuclear power and nuclear safety, by uniting the strength of academic faculty and the industrial experience of professionals from Chinese and French corporations; (2) building up a local elite talent training system in China, using the elite education model of the French schools of engineering, combined with the resources of SYSU and major nuclear companies in China.
Having been awarded international accreditation from the French CTI (Commission des titres d'ingénieur) and EUR-ACE certificate in 2015, SYSU has become an internationally-honored Chinese institution in the nuclear field, which indicates that the talent-training and scientific research have been widely recognized by the international nuclear power community. Competitiveness through international collaboration has been clearly demonstrated through IFCEN’s educational program.
IFCEN has a mission of pursuing world-class research. At present, IFCEN has set up four principal research directions, following the demands of the nuclear energy industry:
1) Nuclear Simulation and Safety. Advanced simulation technique and multi-physics models are mainly used to investigate the reactor characteristics and safety assessment under high-temperature and irradiation environment. This group has made outstanding progress on simulation and evaluation of nuclear safety issues (vapor explosion and hydrogen issue), as a key part of “several key technologies in the serious accidents of the million kw PWR nuclear power plant”, which won the second-class award of Guangdong Science and Technology Award.
2) Nuclear Reactor Thermohydraulics. The research is focused on the thermohydraulic characteristics of the reactor loop system and the dynamic response in transient and accidental conditions, and new generation reactor systems (SFR and SMR etc.), in close collaboration with CGN and EDF. The R&D outcome has been applied to the thermohydraulics safety assessment of CGN reactors.
3) Nuclear Detection and Radiation Protection. This group focusses on two aspects: (1)R&D of advanced nuclear detection technique and nuclear detectors, in collaboration with the China Spallation Neutron Source; (2)Atmospheric environment radiation detection and nuclear power station environmental monitoring, in collaboration with CGN and the Guangdong government, which has developed environment radiation detection system for more than 30 years.
4) Nuclear Materials and Fuel Cycle. The focus is on the fabrication and characterization of advanced nuclear materials, such as Accident Tolerant Fuel (ATF) cladding and scintillation crystal (for detectors use), non-destructive evaluation of nuclear materials/structure in severe environments, materials-mechanics based “processing-microstructure-property” modeling, and many aspects of nuclear chemistry and radioactive chemistry such as the disposal of radioactive waste. The above works are in close collaboration with CGN and the French partners (e.g. EDF and Grenoble INP).
IFCEN integrates scientific research and student training, by making the best out of Sino-French and academic-industrial collaboration. The final objective is to establish a research and teaching cluster for nuclear energy, which will serve both as a high-level nuclear scientific research platform and as an elite nuclear engineers training system. The French Premier praised this Sino-French program for its outstanding contribution to the nuclear field in China and France. IFCEN has set up a R&D center in cooperation with nuclear power enterprises and institutions at home and abroad, and has built 3,000 m² laboratories using the Guangdong Province special fund of 50 million yuan. So far, IFCEN has already been authorized to serve as the SYSU-CGN R&D Center of Nuclear Safety and Emergency (in 2014), Nuclear Safety and Emergency Engineering R&D Center of Guangdong Province, Nuclear Safety and Emergency Key Laboratory (in 2015), and IFCEN-Dongguan Neutron Science Center-Neutron Detection Technology and Application Joint Laboratory (in 2016). The institute receives annual funds of over 10 million yuan from SYSU to invest in the R&D center.
A successful candidate will be offered a competitive salary based on experience and qualifications, generous start-up funds and the help of a research assistant.
2. Job Positions and Requirements
1) Chair Professor
Applicants must have been internationally recognized and provide outstanding academic achievements in Nuclear Energy Science and Engineering or related fields. Applicants must have the capability to lead peer scientists and establish a world-class research team. The appointed Chair Professor will become the leader or co-leader of one of the above-mentioned research directions and will be expected to carry out research work with their team to achieve the objectives of the research direction. The Chair Professor also has the duty of recruiting talented professors and managing the team.
2) Professor and associate professor
Applicants have excellent publications in Nuclear Energy Science and Engineering or related fields. Applicants should be well-recognized by the international academic community, and have the qualification to apply for a Youth 1000 Talents Program or for an Outstanding Youth Scholar of the NSF of China. The appointed applicants will carry out work either individually or cooperatively in the Chair Professor’s research team.
3) Research Fellow, Associate Research Fellow
Research Fellows or Associate Research Fellow positions for excellent domestic/overseas doctorate holders under 38 years old will be engaged in full-time research work. Applicants should have excellent publications in Nuclear Energy Science and Engineering or related fields and be under 38 years old.
4) Postdoctoral Position
Applicants must hold a PhD degree from a well-known university or research institute and be under 35 years old. Applicants should have a solid foundation in subjects such as the radioactive waste treatment and disposal, multi-phase flow; heat transfer, advanced nuclear reactor technology, computational mechanics and numerical modeling, and mechanics of nuclear materials and fuels. The appointed applicants will work in the area of Nuclear Energy Science and Engineering and will enter a specific group affiliated to one of the above-mentioned research directions.
All potential applicants are welcome to contact the HR Secretary, Ms. Xiao Juanlan. After an initial evaluation, the applicants will be transferred to the IFCEN Academic Committee for interview.
3. Salaries and Benefits
IFCEN will provide successful applicants with competitive salaries and benefits in their respective fields in accordance with the market economy principle. All individuals will be subjected to an international academic evaluation after several years of employment. Successful individuals will promote their academic qualifications to higher-levels.
4. Application Materials
Applications should be
submitted via email at the address given below, with the subject line
containing the applied position. Paper-based submissions are not initially
necessary. An application should include:
(i) a cover letter, that describes a brief research plan and how suited the plan is to the position applied for;
(ii) a CV in English, that contains a full list of publications and contact information of at least five full professors who can act as referees;
(iii) representative work (no more than 5 pieces that include journal papers, monographs and patents);
(iv) Academic Certificates of the highest qualification held.
5. Contact information
Contact: HR Secretary Ms. XIAO Juanlan
Phone No.：+86 (0)756-366 83 67
Institut franco-chinois de l’énergie nucléaire
Sun Yat-sen University
Guangdong Province, P. R. China
IFCEN recruits talented people all the year round. For more information, please visit our website: http://ifcen.sysu.edu.cn/